darrenyeats wrote:
> Robin Bowes;291195 Wrote:
>> Perhaps you were expecting too much? Difference between digital sources
>>
>> really are minimal.
>> <snip>
>> If you're happy with the SB3 then rejoice - you've saved yourself a
>> shed-load of cash, so you can buy more music!
>> R.
> Robin,
> I've not compared an SB3 and Transporter yet - and probably it depends
> on the other components - but yours is a very sensible view IMO.

It certainly does depend on the other components.

Some time ago, myself and ModelCitizen compared SB1 analogue out to SB1
+ a variety of DACs (modified Art DI/O, Arcam Black Box, Perpetual
Technologies P-something + P-something else - a very expensive
combination). On the system I had at the time neither of us could hear
any difference.

I then modified my amp (a Rotel RA820A), disconnecting the tone control
circuitry completely, replacing capacitors, upgrading op-amps, etc. Wow,
what a difference. Even though the amp had a tone control on/off switch,
it was not completely disconnecting it from the audio path. Fixing it
that *completely* changed the sound of the amp - it made it so much more
musical. I believe "lifting a veil" is an oft-used audiophile
expression; well, in this case, "lifting a carpet" would be more
appropriate! With the modified amp, it became easier to distinguish
between sources.

But, even with an appropriately revealing/accurate system, source
differences are not massive. They tend to be subtle, textural effects
that are difficult to describe, and are only discernible on extending
listening.

Anyway, I'm happy with my Transporter.

R.