Timothy Stockman;312332 Wrote:
> In the apnote, a transformer is required in both "balanced to
> unbalanced" circuits to get good common mode rejection.
>
> This was also my experience when I set up PA equipment for bands.  I
> built several homebrew audio transformer boxes (Jensen JE-11
> transformers) which were quite effective in solving grounding problems.
> The root of grounding problems is often incorrect grounding topology
> inside the equipment, but adding an external transformer is an
> effective band-aid.  I also carried a couple medical power isolation
> transformers for situations where it was more desirable to put the
> transformer in the mains circuits rather than the audio path, but the
> effect was exactly the same.

thanx also for that timothy. i will let everyone know if using just
single ended xlr fixes a hum for me. i have read that it is effective
for some users. i also know that everyone is not fully onboard the full
balanced boat, like mick from supratek who seems to think single ended
is the way to go for curing hum and preserving SQ (there i go jumping
into that controversy).

--
ratso

Martin Logan Vantages - Wyred for Sound SX-1000 monoblocks - Blue Circle
BC-21 preamp - Slim Devices Transporter - APC H10 power conditioner -
Cables by Me!