No problem, I appreciate your reply.  I am not a Rhapsody user, but I'll
see if I can find the same tracks elsewhere or maybe sign up for a free
trial of Rhapsody - I see there is a 30 day free trial so I'll probably
use this opportunity to check it out.

I can try to listen to the tracks you mentioned, but I don't have the
better quality versions to compare to.  On a few songs where I did have
the original recording, the 128k MP3 sounds very good, nothing
objectionable at all, and when I play the original (the case I am
thinking of was a track by Alison Krauss + Union Station off the "Live"
2-SACD set) I do hear more detail, clarity and 3-d effect, but the 128k
had all of those qualities, just less detailed, but it still sounded
good.

I recently did a number of changes to my system, which before was
sounding a bit 'thin' as you describe.  But now it has very nice
bass/upper bass/lower midrange which forms a nice solid 3-d image.
It's very 'coherent', so if a player slaps the strings on a guitar it
sounds realistic, I get the feeling there is someone in the room in
front of me slapping those strings.
It's definitely a lot more involving to listen to now, even with 128k.

See if you can get to my Pandora profile page here:

http://www.pandora.com/people/kh6idf1

and if you can see the few songs I have bookmarked.  I usually bookmark
ones that sound especially good.  I'll try to add some more if I get a
chance over the next few days.  You should also be able to play my 73
stations I have set up - maybe you can find some overlap in our musical
tastes.  The station list will change as I delete some and add others of
course.

--
kh6idf