kh6idf;318321 Wrote:
> I just posted a reply to another thread with basically the same
> information, but I am using an external DAC with mostly internet
> radio/Pandora/Last.fm listening.  It sounds REALLY good even though it
> is just 128kbps for most of the streams.  There are some internet radio
> streams at 256 and sometimes higher that sound even better (look for
> AVRO in the shoutcast classical section) , but I am very happy with
> what I'm hearing at 128.  Clear, transparent, detailed and coherent
> (emphasis on the coherent) with a nice solid stereo image and bass
> foundation.  The SB3 internal DAC is pretty decent but I am hearing
> more transparency and coherence with the external DAC.  If you could
> borrow a good DAC from someone or invite them over to hear the SB3 and
> bring their DAC it would be a no-cost way to evaluate the difference.
> Or try to get the DAC on a trial basis where you can return it if you
> don't think it makes enough difference.
>
> Here is the rest of my system to give you some point of reference:
>
> SB3 (using digital coaxial out)
> Behringer SRC2496 sampler rate converter (right now I am leaving the
> sample rate at 44.1 kHz, I had it upsampling to 24/96 but now it seems
> the 16/44.1 is a little better) - optical cable connecting to DEQ2496
> Behringer DEQ2496 digital EQ (I'm using this for EQ and DAC)
> Linn LK-1 preamp
> Linn LK-280 amp (160W x 2 into 4 Ohms)
> Magnepan SMGc speakers with upgraded crossovers
> Audio Pro B-240 subwoofer
> (all but the B-240 plugged into a Furman PL-8 series II power
> conditioner)

As a long time LK1 owner (and proud of it) I can tell you that that is
far and away the limiting part of your system. The LK1 was OK in its
day...but it was never intended for anything other than an LP12 going
into it and it has a very veiled sound to it. It has limited headroom,
the caps are probably dying by now and there were several upgrades to
it, none of which really fixed its basic problems. If you can, pick up
a used line-only Kairn (they will be very cheap now) or even better a
5103. The Kairn is miles... MILES better than the LK1 and the 5103 is a
whole different league again...

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...SB3+Stontronics PSU - Altmann
JISCO/UPCI - TACT RCS 2.2X with Good Vibrations S/W - MF X-DAC
V3/X-PSU/X-10 buffer (Audiocomm full mods)- Linn 5103 - Linn Aktiv 5.1
system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend
Supertweeters, Kimber & Chord cables