A simpler answer is that the analogue stage of a DAC is voiced by its
designer to sound they way they want it to sound. Even if the digital
stages of the DAC are "perfect", the sound will be "coloured" (shaped)
by the analogue stage, and its choice of op-amps/transistors/valves,
caps, resistors etc and general circuit design (feedback etc).

This is the basic reason why Pre-amps, cd players, DACs and power amps
sound different. It's the way they were designed and the components
involved.

The real problem (as I guess we all know really) is that there is no
objective benchmark - they should all be a "straight wire with gain",
but none of them are exactly that.

Therefore, the only way forward (IMHO) is to choose components with
which to construct a system that works for YOUR ears and sounds great
to YOU.

It doesn't matter what it sounds like to anyone else...

Unfortunately, this translates into effort and choice which are both
stressful. So, we'd like to just buy something that we know (ie are
told) is great. Oddly, hi-fi is the only thing I can think of that that
works like this - maybe photography is close? I'm sure there are others.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...SB3+Stontronics PSU - Altmann
JISCO/UPCI - TACT RCS 2.2X with Good Vibrations S/W - MF X-DAC
V3/X-PSU/X-10 buffer (Audiocomm full mods)- Linn 5103 - Linn Aktiv 5.1
system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend
Supertweeters, Kimber & Chord cables