ralphpnj;331984 Wrote:
> I'm going to write something that I think can be taken as a worthwhile
> analogy but if I'm seeing things correctly or even if you just
> disagree, please don't jump all over me ;)
>
> Okay, here's goes:
>
> The degradation to the overall sound of a lossy digital audio file by
> editing or manipulating (such as burning the files to an audio CD only
> to then re-rip lossy audio files back onto another hard drive) can be
> thought of as similar to the those good old generational losses one
> gets when working with analog audio only with a very different type of
> sonic degradation.
>
> One of the things that I worry about when it come so lossy audio files
> is that the lossy files are often treated like lossless audio files
> when it comes to copying. By this I mean what I wrote in the above
> paragraph: people take a lossy audio file and burn the file to an audio
> CD, during which process the lossy file is essentially converted back to
> a wav file (but not the "same" wav as one started with) only to then rip
> this newly created audio CD back to lossy audio files onto another hard
> drive. The amount of degradation just keeps piling on with each
> conversion back and forth from lossy to "wav".
>
> The real kicker is that many people do not understand that, despite the
> "CD quality" nonsense that many lossy audio vendors like to spout, a
> lossy file, particularly wen tit comes to editing and format
> converting, is not the same as a lossless file or the original wav
> file.

Yes I think everyone agrees with this.  I never do this and most people
that do, don't know anything about the process. The very first mp3's
that I used, I thought they were like zip files so you could do this.
I know it happens more than it should especially in the younger Ipod
crowd. But to them I don't think that sound quality matters that much
yet and since the CD they burn sounds just as good as the mp3 they
think it worked just fine.  They give the cd to a friend and they rip
it and do the same thing for another friend.  You end up with quite an
interesting version after 5 or 6 cycles I would think. :)

--
Nonreality

-IF THE RULE YOU FOLLOWED BROUGHT YOU TO THIS, OF WHAT USE IS THE RULE.-

HTTP://www.last.fm/user/nonreality