Sikhar, NonReality,

Hold on, hold on... as we're on SB forums we can imply that the people
in this thread claiming to hear the difference between 320-mp3 and flac
are listening on SB.... in which case things start to make sense to me
and the people with those claims might be right after all! (did I just
say that?)

What I mean: what's the difference between a 256 and a 320 mp3? That
difference might be unnoticable on SB because the errors of bug-id 6231
are more severe and mask the differences in mp3 bitrate. If so, the
difference is back to 256-mp3 vs flac which at least is more
believable. I still can't hear it but that doesn't mean someone else
can't! Maybe bugid 6231 masks any improvements over 192 kBps mp3 or
even lower??!! I'll eat that.

So, after reading about the bug I would propose that someone who claims
to hear the difference between flac and 320-mp3 takes that 320-mp3 and
transcodes it back to flac and compares the two flac's, eliminating the
mp3 decode bug in SB. If that changes his test-result, bugid 6231 was
the culprit, if it doesn't change the result I still have a very hard
time believing him ;-)

For now, this bug complicates the matter enough that I would say that I
stand corrected: I can believe some people hear the difference --when
played on SB--.

tjeezzz.... I can't live with the knowledge something is missing when I
listen to my mp3's.... so how do I do SC transcoding on the fly? Re-rip
to flac, here's EAC but... where's my CD collection??? (in boxes 7000
km away!!)

oh... about the bug... surely Logitec can spend the $$$ to outsource
this problem and have some geek-company write an optimal mp3 decoder. I
my high-days I was hired for stuff like that for even lesser problems by
way smaller companies... (and I charged the sh*t out of them ;-)

now, let's play some mp3's while searching for mp3>flac transcoders...
cheers,
Nick.

--
DeVerm