DeVerm;338244 Wrote:

> When you do not record these harmonics but only their audible products,
> you loose information from the original signal, information that will
> produce audible sounds with playback. It will sound different. It might
> not sound better but that's personal preference and could be adjusted
> using a processor. At least you have more of the original performance
> to work with.

Well, generally you don't record or mix in 16/44 - that indeed wouldn't
be good enough.  You record in 24/96 or something, and then only at the
end do you step down to 16/44.  If that final step were audible, the
following experiment should have detected it:

> [c) I have not read about that, can you give me pointers?

http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=14195

So, based on the above (plus more than a century of scientific data on
psychoacoustics and the physics of audio) I think we can very
confidently conclude that 16/44 is good enough as a medium for
consumers of recorded audio.

Now you seem to be claiming that there is some deep dark problem due to
aliasing or something that afflicts all digital recording.  Without more
details I can't address that, but I can say I don't buy it :-).

I think the problem is that we are trying to reproduce a very complex 3
dimensional soundfield produced by a huge variety of objects in some
particular recording venue using a couple of vibrating paper cones in
our living rooms.  The fact that we can get anywhere near is
astounding.

> Well, by the time you get to that theoretical maximum velocity, we're
> shurely not talking about audio anymore. Air molecules are no different
> from any other matter in that they can travel at speed of light. No,
> analog is not a high-def form of digital, they will stay in different
> domains.

I was talking about the velocity dispersion of air molecules, which
falls off very rapidly at the high end.

> I get the feeling that we actually agree with each other which is
> impossible because we're audiophiles

Completely impossible.  You must be hallucinating - I recommend
immediate medication (single malt is my personal favorite).

--
opaqueice