DeVerm;338164 Wrote:
>  Hmmm.. that still would be a bold statement, so you really should
> explain yourself more ;-)

Well, I'm not sure what you mean about "the Nyquist-Shannon theorem is
not realizable in practice".  A theorem is a theorem.  What -I- meant
was the following:

a) people cannot hear sounds above about 20kHz (more like 16kHz for the
vast majority)

b) 44.1 kHz digital PCM can reproduce sounds up to 22.05 kHz in theory,
or more like 20 kHz in practice due to filtering issues (that's
presumably what you meant above?).

c) a recent study demonstrated very convincingly that higher res
formats are indistinguishable from 44.1, hence proving (or at least
providing very strong support for) the conclusion that redbook is
simply good enough when it comes to listening.

> I see the smiley ;) So, digital becomes analog when bit-depth reaches
> that amount of molecules? How about sample-rate, how would you
> eliminate that in the comparison? I don't think your statement will
> triumph ;-)

Well, there's a pretty solid theoretical maximum to the velocity of air
molecules, and hence to the highest frequencies that can be produced in
air with any non-negligible amplitude.  So I suppose sound does have a
kind of maximum sample rate....  did I triumph? :-)

> Sorry, I must not been clear as that was not my point. My point is that
> when comparing 320 mp3 to flac, one should take a step back and look at
> the bigger picture and put the issue at hand in the right perspective.

Fully agreed.

> My point is that when anyone accepts a 16 bit, 44 kHz FLAC as his or her
> ultimate listening experience, the person is actually not an audiophile.
> I think you will agree to these points or you wouldn't be in this forum.

No, I don't agree (for reasons abc above).  I think the limitations in
audio reproduction - which I agree are major - have nothing to do with
limitations imposed by 16/44.1.  In other words, 16/44.1 is good
enough.  The problem lies elsewhere.

--
opaqueice