I was wondering when someone was going to introduce quantum theory into
this debate...

Anyway, I think the salient point is that (very) low-rez digital
representations of anything (music, images etc) can be deeply
unsatisfying whereas we are much more tolerant of analogue
shortcomings. However, as Shannon et al (and of course Mr. O) state, as
you increase the information sampling rate there comes a point where the
two are fundamentally indistinguishable to us. We can argue about where
that point is. I happen to think that 16/44.1 is nearly OK, but 20/44.1
is definitely good enough for audio. There's a good mathematical reason
for using high sampling rates to enable manipulation of the data
without incurring critical errors (eg in editing, convolving etc). but
that's a different matter.

Put simply, I believe that there is no fundamental weakness in the
digital information sampling model that makes analogue inherently and
perpetually superior.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...SB3+Stontronics PSU - Altmann
JISCO/UPCI - TACT RCS 2.2X + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods)- Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters,
Kimber & Chord cables
Outdoors: Boombox+Creative Sub (If I remember to turn it on...)