Are you sure that your audio/file settings for the SB3 are correct?

That would explain it.

Another less likely explanation could be the way the rips are done - if
there is an issue here it could be masked by the mp3 transcode.

Or the SB3 could be faulty.

You need to see if your experience is repeatable with anothr SB3.
Several people here have Slimps... (I don't, hence my comment on the
SB1 which I do have) However you are also implying that you would
prefer the Slimp3 sound to that of an SB1. Have you done that
comparison?

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...SB3+Stontronics PSU - Altmann
JISCO/UPCI - TACT RCS 2.2X + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods)- Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters,
Kimber & Chord cables
Outdoors: Boombox+Creative Sub (If I remember to turn it on...)