jimi00;342515 Wrote:
> Yes, I did check that the server does not transcode files for the SB3.
> Come to think of it, I'm sorry but these asumptions would not make
> sense anyways. If any of the above were the case, on what grounds could
> it explain that my Slimp3 sound better than my SB3 (appart from the fact
> that my unit could be faulty)?
> I know this is the audiophile forum but couldnt we be a bit more
> logical? Why doesnt anyone else just listen to the two and give us his
> opinion?
> (BTW I dont have an SB1, therefore I will not comment on it)

They make perfect sense.

You are comparing MP3 on a SLIMP3 against lossless FLAC on an SB3,
right?

1) If the SB3 was faulty it might sound worse than the SLIMP3
2) If the rips were faulty in some way they might sound better when
transcoded compared to the raw sound of the FLAC, because the problem
might be masked or reduced during the transcode.
3) If you were accidentally transcoding to (say) 128 for the SB3 it
could sound worse than the SLIMP3 on a higher bitrate. Remember that
these settings are player-specific.

All of the above have been previously encountered by other forum
members, although not to my knowledge in the context of a comparison
with a SLIMP3.

You've ruled out 3. That leaves 1 or 2 or your initial hypothesis that
the SLIMP3+MP3 simply outperforms the SB3+FLAC.

What bitrate are you using on the SLIMP3?
How were the rips created? EAC or similar in secure mode?

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...SB3+Stontronics PSU - Altmann
JISCO/UPCI - TACT RCS 2.2X + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods)- Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters,
Kimber & Chord cables
Outdoors: Boombox+Creative Sub (If I remember to turn it on...)