Yes, they make TDRs for coax and optical systems. It was 25 years ago
when I did fibre, so getting an optical TDR to work was a pain. The
centre core was so far off of centre that it made getting a good
coupling very difficult. (Obviously, they eventually figured out how to
pull fibre, and it is pretty easy today.)

OK, a VSWR of 1.1:1 should work fine for a VHF radio, but I can assure
you SPDIF sounds not so good at that level. SPDIF is rather odd in this
respect. Probably the most sensitive interface around.

In the case of your radio, the insertion loss from that amount of
return loss is very small. Some frequency-dependent component, but
fractions of a dB at best.

With SPDIF, it is not an insertion loss problem. Pulse dispersion is a
problem, but a lot of that comes from having to pass EMC standards. (It
takes around 50 MHz to make it sound good. 100 MHz is better.) The main
problem is the jitter that occurs in the clock recovery.

And it still sounds bad. Remember, not everyone has a D/A box that goes
to the lengths necessary to address its shortcomings.

Pat

--
ar-t

http://www.analogresearch-technology.net