ar-t;348183 Wrote:
> BTW......XLR connectors........they -really- are 110 ohms. But, like he
> said..........they don't stay that way. (Hint: look at how far apart
> the pins are, and how long they are. Look at a BNC. See why now?)

It looks like I can't agree with a lot you write tonight so sorry but
no, I don't see it. Are you referring to the difference in size? The
BNC is a UHF coax connector with just one pin while the XLR3 is a LF
connector with 3 pins. The size of the connector doesn't influence the
impedance at all but is matched to the cable to be used for it. Thick
coax with less loss doesn't fit a BNC but does fit a big N-type
connector while both have the same impedance. Sturdiness is another
reason for bigger connectors.

If you would move the pins closer (or further apart) you would change
the impedance of the connector but it wont fit the female pins anymore
so that won't happen I think. Do you mean it changes impedance because
of contact corrosion or wear? Or aging of the dielectric insulation?
This is true but it's valid for all connectors and all coax cables.
That's why they have a limited life-span. Coax with foam dielectric is
famous for it's good spec's but also for it's short lifespan. Please
let me know if this is what you mean with the connector changing it's
impedance.

XLR3 is not a problem for AES because I think (correct me if I'm wrong
here) the max. frequency is the sampling rate (biphase mark code
modulation) which would make that 192 kHz, which is still LF. BNC 75
Ohm is good from DC to 2 GHz (50 Ohm version up to 4 GHz) but mostly
only needed for 250 MHz and up but gets a lot more use because it's a
convenient and cheap connector. Even the cheapest of the cheap F-type
TV connector that uses the coax center-conductor as the pin for the
male connector (!) has a good 75 Ohm impedance up to a couple of GHz.

RCA is so messed up because it was used for everything from DC feed to
UHF and you never know what you get. But one could design and
manufacture a good quality 75 Ohm version!

So I conclude that for home-use S/PDIF, BNC connectors are great and I
would consider replacing RCA's with BNC. But if I had AES with XLR3 I
would be happy too; it's probably even better. I've never seen AES with
RCA but I read that it is in use and I would be not so happy with that.
I would definitely --not-- settle for any adapters (like RCA->BNC)
because they are an extra source of echo's.

cheers,
Nick.

--
DeVerm