Well, you concluded that I was a non-techie, so see what happens when
you draw the wrong conclusion.

OK, I have more time now, so I will try to explain in terms that a
non-native English speaker can understand.

Look at how a BNC, TNC, Type-N, of even Type-F are made. -The physical
dimensions- are roughly the same as the cable itself. This leads to
very little discontinuities when you have to prepare the cable to go
into the connector body.

Now look at a XLR, and compare it to a twisted pair cable. See how much
further apart the pins are? So, what happens when you have to break out
the cable to go into the pins is that you have a *huge* discontinuity.
And shows up on a TDR.

As for the link you provided..............

We had engineers where I used to work that believed that anything under
200 MHz could use either 50R or 75R connectors.

Well, maybe.

Telecom............yeah, we did it all the time.

SPDIF.........well, 99.x% use RCAs, and it works, so what?

Here is the problem:

Blame the guys who designed the SPDIF interface to begin with. (It was
only designed as a test port.) They encoded the data in such a way that
reflections muck up the clock recovery.

How much reflections can you tolerate, or maybe one should ask how low
it needs to be to be inaudible.

Long story short, we concluded that you need to keep reflections to -30
dB (return loss) or less. So how does this relate to real world
connectors?

At that level, you can stick a 75R barrel in between 2 cables, and
still make that level. I forget the actual number, but a 50R barrel is
higher than that number. As for RCAs...............don't even ask.

The link that you provided is kinda hard to read, and I did not readily
see any scale information. It looks odd, as the impedance change from
50R to 75R is as big as the connector. Looks odd to me.

75 ohm RCAs.........yeah, I hear this nonsense all the time. I think
Canare brags that they have one. (They can't!) Someone else claims that
WBT makes one.

But do they? Seems that they make some odd connector that has much of
the outside metal removed, so that the inductance goes up, and
therefore the impedance.

Just one problem:

This odd thing may indeed measure 75 ohms all by itself,

Once you stick it onto a conventional RCA jack, you now have all that
metal that you went to great lengths to remove back in place. So, it
really isn't 75 ohms once you mate it to a real-world connector.

Did I address all of your issues?

Pat

--
ar-t