gsawdy;355124 Wrote:
> Interesting, I couldn't find a price.  Heat pipes, guess Joe can stay on
> Mckanes bus, won't need him! VBG
>
> What do you estimate a DIY system would cost?  Are they using SSD? or
> is there a cheaper alternative?  Seems like SSD's would be pretty
> expensive for a TB of storage!  I just posted the link for grins but
> now I'm curious.  Would it be reasonable to expect such a
> no-moving-parts system with good heat control to last a lot
> longer--basicly to die of obsolence?
>
> George

I got the original joke, but this is pretty hilarious overkill for a
music server. The Zalman case alone is more expensive than many
complete PCs. Probably not needed unless you are overclocking your
music server or running multiple Monte Carlo simulations of election
results...

If the heat pipe/radiator system is replacing water cooling then it
will certainly have a longer life, but the worst that could happen in a
more conventional box is the failure of a cheap little fan.

There are lots of cheaper ways to build a quiet server - I personally
endorse a Mac Mini. Totally silent, and 1.6GHz is more than enough to
handle 15,000 tracks without a hiccough. All you need is a quiet
external hard drive (or keep it all in a closet).

On the other hand, the Zalman is certainly over-engineered enough to
match the battleship-like cases of a lot of audio gear...

--
archinaut