gsawdy;354564 Wrote:
> Came across this :
> http://www.goodwinshighend.com/silentmusicservers.htm
>
> Won't be cheap, but it will be the ultimate server.  Add a network
> card, install Squeezecenter, and put it under you favorite listen chair
> = warm listening bliss all winter long!
>
> Just think if anything springs a leak, you could call Joe the Plumber
> in person.
>
> George

It is cool, but I think pretty much anybody can build a very silent PC
these days by following simple guidelines from guys like
silentpcreview.com or such.

Hardcore gamers that truly tax components have a harder time putting a
silent system together, since unless they go fanless and watercooled
the fans required to take the heat off overclocked components will be
loud no matter what. But a music server can be built with very power
efficient components.

My music server -on which I am also writing this because it is my home
server- is built based on a good quality Silverstone case, very silent
fans, and an Intel E8600 that runs at 20% frequency most of the time.
Despite the fact it also has a RAID array it consumes less than 60W in
average, and can be hardly heard -really- and is highly upgradable
without a lot of fuss when I need to.

--
pablolie