agentsmith;366585 Wrote:
> This is extremely promising news! I could get rid of at least one SACD
> player and play my 100+ SACDs on my newly acquired Transporter.  If I
> could ask a few rookie questions, I know nothing about PC pro audio so
> please excuse my ignorance.
>
> >> Modified Clux11SA
> What is being modified with this box?  I searched and this looks like a
> pretty basic (i.e. non audiophile) device.  Would I be able to use a
> HDMI switcher with TOSLINK out to achieve similar results?
>
> >> TASCAM US-144 via ASIO and Wavelab Lite for recording.
> - Are you using TOSLINK in or analogue in to the TASCAM?
> - Is the TASCAM simply connected to the PC via USB?  So I could just
> use a laptop to capture the audio?
> - Is the TASCAM difficult to operate for non studio person?  I see a
> few knobs and buttons and it scares me....

The modification is to bypass the analog outputs and access the digital
bitstream going to the DACs. You should have switch-box.com do it for
you. He is selling them all modified ready to go.

When using the TASCAM no analog is used, the whole process is digital.
The TASCAM is simply a USB sound card with coax S/PDIF in and out. It
has no toslink and neither does the Clux. Any device that supports
S/PDIF input up to what every speed you need over ASIO will work. The
EMU 0404 comes with wavelab lite. None of the knobs are active when
using straight S/PDIF input. The TASCAM does much more than just
S/PDIF. I actually use it for 5 things.

Yes TASCAM is connect via USB. Must be 2.0 USB to get above 48Khz.

I use it an A to D converter for an FM Tuner to Digital Speakers.
I use it as a Headphone Amp
I use it as Computer to S/PDIF to Digital Speakers
I use it as Analog Mic Preamp for doing Room Correct with Balanced
Phantom Power Mic
I use it to Record SACD's off the clux.

Not bad for $130.00

The Clux and TASCAM will record bitperfectly. The only "loss" is the
PS3 conversion from DSD to PCM.

The Clux is not the only way. But the only way with a PS3. Any player
that can be modified that does DSD to PCM DACs will work. The Clux will
work for any player that does LPCM over HDMI for SACD.

Anything that can record S/PDIF at 24/88.2 bitperfectly will work.

--
mswlogo

XP > Cat5 > Transporter > SPDIF > Meridian G68 > DSP6000, DSP5500HC,
DSP5000
XP > Cat5 > SB3 > SPDIF > Meridian DSP5000
XP > Cat5 > SB3 > SPDIF > Meridian G91 > DSP5000

'My Transporter Setup'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=350741&postcount=45)
'Hitch Hikers Guide to Meridian' (http://www.meridianunplugged.com)