seanadams wrote:
> Gotcha. I am not very familiar with the mechanics of DSD to PCM
> conversion, but I;m sure this can't be considered a lossless
> conversion. That's not to say it's degraded much, just that it's not
> the same information - it couldn't be converted back. Effectively
> you're resampling from 1 bit * 2.1MHZ down to 24 bit * 88.2KHz. It's
> the same number of bits, but not equivalent content. If only there were
> an easy way to rip the DSD stream...

Sony designed it to preclude conversion back and forth, but they failed.
Or more properly, pure DSD recording streams failed to make it in the
professional recording studio world. In practice, 99% of the digital
recordings are made PCM rather than using the six figure recording
systems that DSD needs.

And while Sony will never admit it, its unclear if they are not in
practice equivalent. It is the same number of bits. The number of bits
exceeds any credible engineering definition of the signal to noise
ratios, information content, bandwidth, etc. This is not counting the
radical noise shaping that DSD requires just over the audible range.

If you don't like 88.2/24, there is always 96/24 or 192/24, all in PCM

High wide PCM is cheap and widely used. Or at least widely available

I believe that there is benefit to high/wide recording over 44.1/16. I
do not believe that SACD has any technical benefit over PCM when you
compare apples to apples. YMMV

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/