There have been a couple of Pro Audio suggestions already - Mackie,
DynAudio - and I'd like to second them. I have found that Pro Audio
gear provides quality construction, great value, and superb sound (and
as a bonus, you get to hear the song just as the recording and
mastering engineers heard it).

In the value range (comparable to the A2 price) you can consider the
Edirol MA-15D powered speakers. At higher prices, consider both the
DynAudio and Mackies. If you head over to GearSluts, you'll find a lot
of pro recording engineers really like the Adam Audio and Genelec
lines, although they are more expensive again.

The great thing about Pro Audio is you are paying for sound quality and
durability - not aesthetics and voodoo marketing.

--
TooSteep