I don't know (and I don't care) about what some people might think @
Audiophile.

What is sure, is that CD players don't use their error recovery system
causing interpolation, except on some rare cases with heavily damaged
CDs.
Most of the time, error correction is done way before the synchronous
digital path.

So, I think that whatever difference may be (for a signal going through
an external dac) it can only come from the quality of the SPDIF
conversion.

Also, I believe the following is also true : anybody will find the same
signal sounding "better" when it goes through a cheapish device (like
the SB3 is, compared to some CD players). I've tested this with several
of my friends. ;)

--
Themis

SB3 - North Star dac 192 - Denon 3808 - Sonus Faber Grand Piano Domus