mswlogo;378171 Wrote:
> It completely depends on what is using the digitized data.
>
> Let's say I have a simple sine wave of amplitude 1.
>
> And sample it at 0, Pi, and 2PI. Then I'll get 0, 0, 0.
>
> Now let's increase the sampling rate to 5 samples.
>
> 0, pi/2, pi, 3pi/2, 2pi. Then I'll get 0, 1, 0, 1, 0.
>
> That is a HUGE difference from basically doubling the sampling rate.
>
> Now it is believed that humans can't hear above 20khz so there is no
> need to go above 40khz. But there is no proof going above 44.1khz is
> not sensed by humans. This may translate to less fatigue for example by
> going higher. Not something you can easily pinpoint in A/B testing.
>
> I also believe it allows DAC to run better, bass management, digital
> cross overs, volume calibration and other bits of processing (all of
> which my system applies) to not dip into the 44.1khz realm.
>
> Music is analog and it does take an infinite sampling rate to prefectly
> reproduce it (to capture 100% of the "information").
>
> To the human ear doubling 44.1 to 88.2 may or may not be doubling what
> the human brain/ears can process and it's impossible to put a figure on
> it's value to listening pleasure.
>
> Is going from 22khz to 44khz twice as good to your listening pleasure.
> I'd say for most of us it's more than "twice" as good. But we only
> doubled the sampling rate. It's not that simple.
>
> So there is definitely more information sampling above 44.1 it's
> arguable if the human brain/ear can use it in a meaningful (enjoyable)
> way.

Erm... actually no. We could have a debate about whether or not "music"
(sound pressure waves) is quintessentially an analogue or digital
phenomena - as indeed we could about how human hearing works and how
that more closely resembles a digital sampling mechanism than anything
analogue...

Indeed, one could argue there is no such concept as "analogue" - it's
just a way of rationalising in our human brains the complex realities
and implications of quantum physics that comprise the universe.

But to the main topic: Information Theory explains that above a certain
sampling frequency there is no more useful information to extract. So,
no... in this example, doubling the sampling frequency alone does not
create twice the information by capturing additional sample that are
otherwise missing "in-between values". It might seem intuitively that
it must...but it doesn't. From a pure Information Theory perspective,
the only benefit of a higher sampling rate is the upward movement of
the Nyquist frequency, which in turn allows higher frequencies to be
captured accurately.

This is the theory. It explains why CD's work, why MP3 works and a
whole bunch of other important stuff. The problem we are left with is
what happens when we try and render the digital information back into
(what we call) the analogue realm via a DAC... at which point a bunch
of annoying real-world electrical stuff gets in the way!

I'm not saying that 16/44.1 is perfect by the way - 24/44.1 or 24/48 or
higher is clearly audibly better to most people in most systems that can
handle it properly (ie in the DACs). However, having spent hours
fiddling around with this I've come to the personal conclusion that
lots of people assume that the reason why SACD/DVD-A generally sounded
good was the increased sampling frequency...and I think it was the
increased bit-depth.  Of course, not many people have listened to 16/92
vs 24/92...

Again this is consistent with Information Theory - the sampling
accuracy or precision is set by the bit-depth, so the higher the
bit-depth the lower the intrinsic error in each sample value, therefore
the less hard our brains have to work to listen to / make sense of the
sound.

.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...SB3+Stontronics PSU - Altmann
JISCO/UPCI - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods)- Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters,
Kimber & Chord cables
Outdoors: Boombox+Creative Sub (If I remember to turn it on...)