fortitude.five;393478 Wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I wanted to see if any of you have experienced any amount of audible
> improvement as your transporter burns in with hours of use?  If so, how
> many hours until you feel that yours was totally burned in and
> stabilized?  I felt that the first 5-10 hours on mine was lacking bass
> response and overall imaging/dynamics, but now after 100 or more it is
> drastically better.  Anyone else have similar experiences?
>
> Thanks...

Basically Burn-in is a term used by some Sellers or Manufactures to
make you think you didn't pay too much because "It has to be great
audiophile gear if it needs burn-in".

The Transporter requires no such black magic and I wouldn't buy gear
that needs burn-in. If any gear actually needed any such thing, the
manufacture should do it on his dime so I have a great sounding and
working product out of the box. Burn-in is a term from testing gear
before releasing it to be packaged for sell IE quality assurance
testing of 36 to 72 hours to see if any faulty parts raise their ugly
head once a unit is left turned on over a period of time at high
operating temperatures.

Some idiot started using the same term to talk about audiophile gear,
now people that don't know better think it actually is something they
need to do or they are going to hear some magical change after X many
hours. From the moment a unit is turned on, the transformer field fills
out, the capacitors fully charge, the parts reach operating temperature,
the electrons behave the same no matter if the unit has 10 minutes
operating time or has 10,000 hours on it! YMMV.

Do mechanical products need to be broken in, some do some don't, but
again that's not burn-in.

--
iPhone

*iPhone*
'Last.FM' (http://www.last.fm/user/mephone)
Media Room:
Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's,
Vandersteen Quatro, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, VCC-5 Reference
Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1

Living Room:

Kitchen: Squeezebox BOOM
Bedroom: SB3, GFR-700HD, Thiel 2.3, Second Boom
Home Office: SB3, NAD C370, two VSM-1
Home Gym: SB3, Parasound Vamp v.3, Thiel PowerPoint 1.2
Mobile: SB3, Audioengine A5