OK OK, I'll try it. :)

I'm not usually a headphone user but since Ultimate Ears is now a
Logitech product I was able to score a free pair of Triple.fi 10 pro.
:)

http://www.ultimateears.com/_ultimateears/store/products/triplefi10pro_specification.php
These are spectacularly clear and sensitive headphones (also because
they're in-ear they block all outside noise, so you have to have a
really clean source to drive them). They go down to 10Hz but in order
to hear the low end you have to put the them into the ears very tight
so they make a complete seal. The main reason I don't use headphones is
for whatever reason everything except around-the-ear cups become
physically painful for me after a few minutes, even at low volume, and
especially on-the-ear phones...

Anyway I hooked up a switchbox with a TP and an SB3 synched, and three
connections:

TP RCAs
SB3 RCAs
SB3 headphones

With the SB3, I simply hear no bass on the RCA outputs - it's anemic. I
don't know how you're hearing any, because it's just not physically
possible. I'll say this though, they are a heck of a lot clearer - in
fact with a sensitive pair of phones I would probably rather listen to
the RCAs.

Transporter's RCAs are super clean but there's little point to the A/B
with SB3 because of the frequency response. However you can match up
the levels and A/B with SB3's headphone, but the difference in noise
level is so big that there's really not much point looking for subtler
nuances.

I don't have a high quality headphone amp at-hand at the moment, but
the next thing to do would be to try transporter straight off the RCAs
vs through the amp. It still sounds like the low end is attenuated and
I think it's because you reach the power limit of the op amps pretty
quickly. It's not distorted thought, just seems lean - could be the
phones I guess, but I will have to find something else decent to test
with.

--
seanadams