Stratmangler;397684 Wrote:
> Hi Phil
>
> Thanks for taking up the dirty stick on this one.
>
> The files concerned were all wav. files.
>
> I took the fixed level analogue outputs of my DAC (Bereford 7510
> 6/4)into an EMU 0202 USB external ADC/DAC (quieter than the standard
> in/out of the laptop). The signal chain was SB3 to DAc via SPDIF to
> EMU0202. The source of digital grunge you mention is probably the SMPS
> PSU off the laptop used to record the files, although this is, as you
> have said, very low down in the noise floor.
>
> The clock drift is doubtless due to the fact that all files were
> recorded in real time - I have since ripped, cut and copied the same
> track from CD for comparison purposes (ie direct manipulation of the
> waveform), and there are no clock errors in the results of the
> comparison between A + B (it is indeed the same file with a slightly
> different name). On playback whether via the EMU or via the standard
> analogue outputs there is a level of grunge low down in the noise floor
> (SMPS grunge ?).
>
> So we're dealing with very imperfect devices in an imperfect world.
>
> The reason for going through all of this malarky is an attempt to
> obtain totally objective evidence as to whether there are audible sonic
> differences between Squeezecenter levels and their associated firmware.
>
> Subjectively I did not get on with the SQ of 7.3 , but have got on ok
> with subsequent 7.3.1 and 7.3.2 .
>
> And I do not get on with 7.4 beta.
>
> I ran 7.4 beta for a good few hours, and over a period you adjust to
> what you are listening to.
>
> Then I just got the urge to play the AC/DC song "Highway To Hell". The
> harmonic structure of the opening guitar riff was not "right" !
> And trust my ears on this one - my username of Stratmangler is due to
> the fact that I've played guitar for years.
> I know the sound of a Marshall amp instantly.
> The mangler part is self depracating in that I do not put in anything
> like the amount of effort to keep my playing skils up to scratch, let
> alone improve.
> I haven't really had the time or inclination for a good few years.
> Anyway, I have digressed....
>
> Dig out the CD and play the same track - things back how I remember
> them.
>
> Stick on the vinyl - harmonically fine, how I remember them.
>
> Play the track from HD via SB3 - things not so good.
>
> Uninstalled 7.4 , cleaned up, rebooted and clean instal of 7.3.2 and
> things fall back into place and sound good.
>
> The problem with all of the subjective stuff is that it is my system,
> my place, and my ears.
>
> And until either I, or someone else can come up some way of extracting
> imperical evidence then this kind of discussion will continue and
> doubtless resurface from time to time.
>
> Many regards
> Chris :)

Chris - I saw AC/DC on the HTH tour! - I'll have a LISTEN to that track
- like you it is one I know well. Likewise Marshall amps...(although I'm
a Tele/LP man myself)

Cheers
Phil

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
SB3 (wired) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Outdoors: Boom