Phil Leigh;398434 Wrote:
> Well, the volume control test is proving very interesting!
> I'd like to hear from SlimDevices on this one - Sean are you there?
>
> I took a 24/96 track via SOX so 24/48 at full volume.
> Then I dropped the SB volume to 50% and recorded the same track. The
> difference shows as -48dB which is quite large...but when I played it I
> couldn't hear anything even with 80dB of boost!!! No rise in the noise
> floor either! (well there is but its tiny).
>
> So I opened up the difference file in Audacity and wow! - now I
> understand the apparent paradox of a large difference I can't hear...
> there's a fairly obvious DC offset introduced on both channels. This
> seems plain wrong to me. I'd really like someone else to try this out!
>
> With the volume set to 9 out of 11 (web gui) there is no difference at
> all (sorry all you "full volume" fans) - and NO DC offset.
>
> With the volume set at 3 out of 9 there is the expected rise in the
> noise floor caused by the lowered signal to noise ratio but the DC
> offset is bigger than at half-volume! I notice the offset is higher in
> the right channel. We are talking about nearly half scale DC here!
>
> I think I need to take a rest from this for a bit. These results don't
> seem reasonable.
>
> Maybe something is wrong with my soundcard or method? Anyone care to
> replicate?

Could that be a bug in the differencing software, rather than in the SB
or your soundcard?  Maybe when it has to match volumes it introduces a
spurious DC offset?  You might just record the SB output directly at
each volume and just look at it (or take its average) to see if there's
an offset.

--
opaqueice