I decided to have a little play with this tool as well. The first thing
I decided to test was SB3 vs SBR, mainly because it's easier to setup
than moving my TP so it makes a good first experiment. I've tried with
3 different source files and have pretty consistent results, so I'm
ready to call it.

Test Setup:

Player 1: SB3 (fw 123)
Player 2: SBR (fw 58)
SC: 7.3.2 - 24695 @ Mon Jan 19 17:13:58 PST 2009
OS: Debian - EN - utf8 (Ubuntu 8.10)

All network connections wired. All audio files 16/44.1 FLAC ripped via
DBP. No transcoding, no replaygain, player volume controls @ 100%.
Audio is recorded from player's line-out to M-Audio Audiophile at 24/96
with -2dB gain on the input to prevent clipping. Files were recorded and
trimmed in SoundForge before analysis in Diffmaker.

Results:

First interesting thing is that the SB3 is about 1dB louder than the
SBR at full volume. Second interesting thing is that the audio
difference is quite distinct, at around 27dB down with clear musical
content. I can't tell you which is better, but they're certainly not
the same.

--
radish