Phil Leigh;401644 Wrote:
> I don't have a "cabaret" genre...
>
> What's Peggy Lee then?
>
> I'm not sure quite how the distinction works? What is the definition of
> "jazz" anyway?
>
> Regardless of what genre it is, I like it.

Sorry about going off topic (but the thread was beginning to veer into
navel gazing territory anyway) but I'll try to answer, or rather
respond to, your questions.

Peggy Lee - I don't know enough about her music to give a worthwhile
answer, sorry.

Here's a link to a short piece a I found via googling "cabaret versus
jazz singing":
http://www.jazz.com/jazz-blog/2009/1/5/jazz-singing-versus-cabaret-singing
It's not long and worth reading.

And yes, I quite agree, regardless of "genre", I always enjoy good
singing, especially when it's as well recorded, engineered and produced
as the Linn recordings are.

--
ralphpnj

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels -> Snatch -> The Transporter ->
Transporter 2