JezA;401410 Wrote:
> What Clive actually said, and what I reacted to,  was that " all the
> hi-res formats are just a cynical way of separating punters from their
> dosh".
>
> I think that is wrong, and incredibly disrespectful of people like
> Linn, Gimmell, the LSO and Chesky who release hi-resolution recordings,
> some as dual-layer cds, others as downloads.
I'm prepared to believe that hi-res might conceivably sound slightly
better than a redbook version of the same recording when played back in
a high-end studio with perfect acoustics and excellent soundproofing.

But in my experience (which I will acknowledge is limited), I've never
been persuaded that hi-res is worthwhile in a domestic listening
environment. In any case, it's quite likely that the few hi-res
recordings I've heard were not the same mastering as the redbook CD, so
the comparisons probably mean nothing.

Or maybe I just have lower standards than JezA (which given the
appalling state of most music mastering these days might be considered
lucky).

--
cliveb

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A