I'm looking to upgrade the system in my living room/lounge and would
like some advice to help come up with a shortlist to audition. I've
seen the similar threads that have come up in the past (including 'this
thread on speakers'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=42541)), and it seems
like there are a lot of good options. Now I'm hoping to narrow down the
choices based on the room specifics.

The room is about 13ft x 15ft (4m x 4.6m) with an 8ft ceiling, and
because of the room arrangement the speakers will probably need to go
along the longer wall, and cannot be placed more than a foot or so from
the back wall. The hardwood floor is mostly covered with thick area
carpet, and there is a mixture of soft and hard furnishings. We listen
to various types of music, rock, acoustic, vocal, classical, although
not much jazz.

My budget is around US$1200 -- I don't feel obliged to spend that much,
but I could exceed it by a little and be okay. I'm fine with going on
the second-hand market such as Audiogon. And I should say that I'd be
open to active monitors or amp+passive speakers.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

--
aubuti