aubuti;413495 Wrote:
> I'm looking to upgrade my amp as well, because the ones I have available
> (a 'vintage' JVC JA-S44 and a <gag>Technics SA-EX140</gag>) are only
> basic low-to-mid end consumer grade that probably won't do justice to
> the speakers. I'm willing to go second-hand on the amp as well, so I'm
> hoping that the amp will eat only $200-300 out of the $1200 budget.
> That budget isn't written in stone, but I do want to be careful around
> that slippery slope. Based on your posts and others and several reviews
> I've read the Vandersteen 1C and 2 Signature are top candidates and I
> will definitely give them a serious listen. Thanks to you and others
> for the other suggestions -- it really helps to narrow down a couple
> things before walking into the store.
>
> Any particular recommendations for an amp to go with Vandersteens?

I like an amp or receiver with a proper amount of available current
(watts without real current behind it is just advertising in my book).
You could find a good used NAD or Adcom both in either a Receiver,
Integrated Amp or one of their amps. Depends on if you plan to only
have one audio source or if one needs other inputs. There are several
good deals on Audiogon of nice mid-fi Receivers and IAs. 50 real watts
from a high current unit is more then enough for Thiel 1.6s or Model
1Cs. I would stay above 100W with good current for any Model 2 from
either Thiel or Vandersteen. An SB3/Duet with an original Adcom GFA-555
(or newer one making sure it has the big trodial trnasformer) driving
the Vandersteen Model 2 Signatures is a hard setup to beat for quality,
performance, overall sound, and bang for ones buck.

There is an 'NAD on Audiogon'
(http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1244073502&/NAD-C370-)

--
iPhone

*iPhone*
Media Room:
Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's,
Vandersteen Quatro, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, VCC-5 Reference
Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1

Living Room:

Kitchen: Squeezebox BOOM
Bedroom: SB3, GFR-700HD, Thiel 2.3, Second Boom
Home Office: SB3, NAD C370, two VSM-1
Home Gym: SB3, Parasound Vamp v.3, Thiel PowerPoint 1.2
House Portable: SB3, Audioengine A5
Thunderbird: Duet, Mac Mini
Expedition: SB3, ToughBook