i believe i understand what you are saying, i just don't see the
importance of the last sentence.

first off, most people don't buy both and then pick one at home after
trying them both there, so it never really happens like that.

secondly, even if they did do that, and even if they allowed themselves
to think they heard a difference simply b/c they aren't blind to the
airchain, doesn't mean its in fact, true.

i know, i know, perception is reality, but my point is they can't prove
it.  the standard should be higher than simply what makes them happy or
what they feel.  the standard should be what can they prove.

let me give you an example...  at a certain point kbps-wise, almost
everyone can reliably tell the difference betwee a low bitrate mp3, and
a CD, right?

they could do this both if they SAW the source, and if they were BLIND
to it.

however, at a certain point, almost no one can do that, UNLESS they SEE
the source.  now, a small fraction of people may be able to, but i would
argue this small fraction only could with near perfect equipment and
environment, neither of which often exist at home.

so yes, some people will "perceive" things at home based on extraneous
criteria that isn't truly relevant, but that doesn't make it valid.

their perceptions are ONLY valid (to anyone else) if they can RELIABLY
PROVE IT in a blind situation.

--
MrSinatra

www.lion-radio.org
using:
sb2 (my home) / sbr (parent's home) / sbc (my home) - w/sc 7.3.3b - win
xp pro sp3 ie8 - 3.2ghz / 2gig ram - 1tb wd usb2 raid - d-link dir-655