Labarum;426070 Wrote:
> Thanks for your tips.
>
> Searching for the Beyer DT770 seems to bring up a wide range of prices
> and a variety of different versions.
>
> The official site shows a 80 ohm and a 250 ohm model, but I don't see
> 600 ohm anywhere.
>
> Can you clarify this?
>
> The AKGs claim 62 ohm - does that make them easier to drive with a
> dedicated headphone amp?
>
> What is the advantage of the higher impedance which seems to be
> preferred in the more expensive phones? The extra wire in the voice coil
> must have mass implications.

Sure, the Beyerdynamic DT770 600ohm is only available through their
website:
http://shop.beyerdynamic.de/hifi/manufaktur/dt-770-manufaktur.html
They are part of a program they call "Manufaktur" where they take
custom orders. Normally (not always), high impedance headphones have
minimal moving mass and therefore distortion is more controlled and
detail/soundstage/air is accentuated, but due to this, they require high
voltage amps (tubes are better for this, obviously not always).

On the other end, low impedance headphones require more current
(amperage) and normally operate better with solid state amps, again this
is a generalization, as always things are a bit more complex. There is
no rule for best sounding, good headphones bring their thing on both
spectrums... also good amps drive well both sides, for example, my tube
and solid state amps drive both headphones very well.....

hope it helps.....

--
GuyDebord

'*LAST.FM*' (http://www.last.fm/user/bloodyrosa)
- SPEAKERS: Kharma CRM 3.2FE -> v/d Hul Inspiration
- PRE: Lyngdorf DPA-1 -> Kharma Grand Reference XLR's -> AMP: Halcro
  MC20
- ANALOGUE: Clearaudio Ambient CMB, Satisfy Carbon & Lyra Helikon SL,
  ASR Basis Exclusive phono pre -> Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II
  XLR’s
- DIGITAL: Slim Devices Transporter -> Siltech Golden Ridge AES/EBU
- AC: PS Audio Power Plant Premier, PS Audio Statement(PPP), ASR
  Magic Cord(ASR), Siltech SPX30 MKII's for the Lyngdorf, Halcro &
  Transporter