jaffa_777 wrote:
> I was wondering if the squeezebox has true digital outs. How does it
> control gain/volume to the digital signal.  I thought a digital signal
> out was just pure information of 1's and 0's?  But it seems to work as a
> preamp as well on the digital side?

At the loweest level, it is indeed just 1's and 0's. But then, so is
every piece of information stored on your hard drive.

The Squeezebox digital out sends data using SPDIF [1].

For the purposes of explaining digital volume to you, this essentially
means it it sends numbers representing the signal level sampled at
intervals of 1/sample frequency.

Using 8 bits as an example (the Squeezebox actually uses 24) you might
have a stream of "numbers" like this:

11010110
11001111
11010101

In order to reduce the "digital" volume, all that is required is that
the numbers that are sent are all reduced by a fixed ratio, e.g.:

00001101
00001100
00001101

As you can see, you lose information as the digits disappear.

However, remember I said the Squeezebox uses 24-bits?

Well, CD audio is only 16-bit so the 8 low bits are generally zero. e.g.:

111111111101011000000000
111111111100111100000000
111111111101010100000000

Now, if we reduce the volume: