bobertuk;438168 Wrote:
> Up to a point yes - apparently. If you read some of the writings of
> people like Dan Lavry, no music currently available can utilize the full
> 24bit resolution - technology in the best recording studio's can barely
> make use of 20 bit's!
>
> If this is true there are still at least 4 bits that can be 'lost'
> before music information is also lost. I know extremely little on the
> subject but guess that the likes of Dan Lavry would have the necessay
> knowledge - although there are almost certainly some who would
> disagree!
>
> Bob

The real issue here is that the self-noise of many microphones make the
bottom 4 bits of 24-bit rather moot.
Where 24-bit recording really comes into its own is with finer
resolution of quiet passages(hence it's importance in clasical
recording) but still enough room to handle the loud passages without
gain riding.

I would argue from a practical perspective the net effect of all of
this is largely unimportant, provided your gear has correct gain
staging.

Usually you wouldn't use a digital level control to introduce massive
volume reductions for the reasons you are thinking of (loss of
resolution). Set up your analogue gain staging properly and use the
24-bit digital level control to give you say +/-10dB of adjustment
range. You won't hear any degradation - just nice smooth level control.
Try it and see.

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
SB3 (wired) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W - MF
Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Outdoors: Boom