Thanks that's a good explanation which also led to the other questions
about losing information using the volume control when playing 24 bit
files.

I was led to think about this question yesterday when playing around
with my current set up and how I drive it in regards to volume.  I
usually run the squeezebox at full siganl/volume and use the bel canto
dac3 to adjust the volume.  But I noticed yesterday that when I ran my
Bel Canto Dac3 hot and fixed at around 90-100 and then used the
squeezebox to control volume, that the sound was remarkably better.
Bigger, wider and lots more presence.

I used to think that not having the full signal from the squeezebox
would degrade the sound, but have found it not to be true, and was
better running my dac hot instead.  You should try this too if you have
a similar setup and see what you think.

--
jaffa_777