So I spent about 4 hours yesterday reading about DACs and the choices
are too numerous. Background: I am playing flac files ripped in
dbPoweramp, then Squeezebox duet, Yamaha CX-800U preamp, Onkyo Grand
Integra M-508 (200wpc @8ohms), and then through Infinity Kappa 9's (very
capable and revealing speakers). My assessments is that the sound is a
little harsh, edgy, and 2 dimensional. Don't get me wrong the Sqeezebox
is not bad, but the Infinity Kappa 9's make poor source material
obvious.

My options look like the following
1) Buy an external DAC
2) Buy a Transporter
3) Buy a high end Pre amp with an internal DAC, like a Bryston SP2
$5,000

The External DAC options and numerous. Here are some of the ones I have
read about, both new and used.

Adcom GDA-600 - used $225
Music Fidelity V-DAC
Gigalab NOS USB DAC TDA1543 1ppm TCXO Dual clock ver $200
Valab NOS USB Re-Clock DAC Low Jitter Dual 1ppm TCXO $200
Behringer ULTRAMATCH PRO SRC2496 - $300
www.pacificvalve.us - has a ton of different DACS
Music Hall - DAC 25.2 - $600
PS Audio - Digital Link III - $700
Lavry DA10 - about $800?
Apogee Mini DAC - ?
Benchmark DAC1 - $900 - $1900
Beresford TC-7520
Bryston - BDA-1 - $2,000
CIAUDIO - VDA-2 - $600
Stello DA100 - $700
Zhaolu D3.5 DAC - $350
Cambridge Audio DacMagic - $450
Musical Fidelity X Dac V3 - used $525

If I were to buy one of these DACs it would probably be the Cambridge
Audio DacMagic or one in the $600 - $1,000 range, like the Music Hall
DAC 25.2, PS Audio Digital Link III, or Lavry DA10, or a Benchmark
product.

The slippery slope
But once I am spending $800 bucks, why don't I just get a used
transporter (around $1,200), and if am spending $1,200 on a Transporter,
why don't I just get a High End pre-amp with a quality DAC inside and
just use the optical out on the Squeezebox.

When I started this search, I was leaning towards an external DAC, but
now I am leaning towards a Transporter. The speakers are bright and
capable of producing lots of Highs, and my home has lots of concrete,
glass and steel, so the environment is bright.

Does a Transporter allow me to bypass the preamp?

It wasn't until I got the Infinity Kappa 9's (about 20 years ago), that
I  realized how critical source material, I could clearly discern good
cd's and bad cd's. Now that I have set up the Kappa's again, I am trying
to get back that good rich sound and I think the SB is my limiting
component.

There are just too many choices, I am confused.

--
John_Dumke