I've got a Lavry DA-10 that I use with my SB3 (Classic). It is a great
combo; the Lavry is a very smooth but articulate sounding DAC.

I auditioned a Transporter and decided my existing SB3 + the Lavry was
a better value, but that was a couple of years ago. If you wanted a
Transporter back then you paid $2K - I didn't recall seeing any on the
used market. At $1,200 I'd have to think a bit harder if I was starting
from scratch. However, I like what I have now so there is no urge to
change.

Another DAC you might consider is the Channel Island. They're a pretty
good buy brand new at $600.

Good luck with your decision. Just keep in mind there are no real
"losers" regardless of whether you go the DAC route or the Transporter.
I don't know enough about preamps with built-in DACs to offer an opinion
on that option.

--
mlsstl