I'm the one that gave that report on the touch S/PDIF output. I am a
beta tester and have taken one apart and examined it very thoroughly and
have a good idea of how the S/PDIF output works. I have done extensive
listening between the touch and stock SB3 and a modified SB3. I have not
done the modifications to the touch (yet!) The SBs were run into several
good DACs, some which had "reclocking" and some which did not.

I'm also a DAC designer and have a pretty good understanding of the
technical issues involved, if people are REALLY interested I can cover
some of the more detailed technical issues involved. In order to do this
I  would like real interest in the subject because I would wind up
spending many hours writing it all down, its not short or simple. And to
make it more interesting there is still a lot we don't know about WHY
certain technical aspect causes particular sonic signatures. So there is
still a fair amount of "it seems to be this but we are not really sure"

BTW the modifications I was talking about above are replacing the SB
crystals with very low jitter oscillators. Even when feeding a DAC using
the infamous Sabre DAC chip, which has what is supposedly one of the
best ASRC implementations the SB3 with the low jitter oscillators sounds
quite a bit better than the stock SB3. The stock touch is in between
these two. On a DAC with out any form of reclocking (Crystal receiver
driving DAC chips directly) but with very good analog stage, the
difference is even bigger.

On the subject of S/PDIF in general, I despise it, I consider it one of
the worst things ever foisted on the general public.

The RIGHT way to use a SB is have low jitter oscillators right next to
the DAC chips and feed those to the SB in place of its local crystals,
this is what I do in my own personal DAC, it works extremely well. As
was mentioned in this thread the best approach would be to build a DAC
with the SB interface hard coupled in so no S/PDIF etc. This is
definitely doable with the touch, nobody is doing it commercially, but
it might just happen in the future.

John S.

--
JohnSwenson