jaredcoe;460187 Wrote:
> Thank you to everyone who posted!  The only reason I want to stay away
> from powered speakers are because I want to do an in ceiling mount.
> Also, I thought the price would be cheaper to buy 1 multi-channel amp
> and non-powered speakers rather than multiple sets of powered speakers.
>
> So, 100 foot RCA runs are out!  What is maximum length you would
> recommend?

I know I'm chiming in late for this one, but I just ran into another
consideration that seems on-topic from my own work adding a kitchen
unit:

I don't think purchasing a multi-channel amp will be all that much less
than long RCA and speaker cables.  Before you fire the guns at me, keep
in mind the quality OP would have with his question.  Ceiling mounted
speakers coupled with a long run of cables aren't going to give
audiophile sound, hence a less expensive amp/receiver from Craigslist
might be a less expensive and better sounding alternative.  A receiver,
say a Denon that's a few years old, depreciates greatly in value.  Yet
the sound quality of the receiver will likely go unchanged.  Conversely,
a set of good speaker wires drop very little in cost.  (Please note: I
didn't opine about the cable's sound quality changing with time... I'm
not opening that one.)

--
kphinney

*-Hopefully a new trend:*-  I'm not endorsing or advertising any of my
gear, nor flaunting it as an Audiophile setup.  I like it, you may not.
I understand and respect that.