my current setup is a B&O Beosound 9000, Denon AVR4308, Rotel RB-1080,
AMC DAC8... with B&W 703's for the fronts, B&W DS7's for the rears, B&W
HTM7 for the centre, & Klipsch RT-12D sub.

the Denon is powering mid-hi in the 703s, the DS7s, & HTM7, with the
Rotel powering the bass drivers of the 703s.

whilst the Beosound 9000 is a beautiful looking CD player, and
functions incredibly well, it's obviously not the best out there
especially for the price, and music just didn't sound 'quite right'
through the B&Ws, I was really expecting far better... since I was
already well over budget I just bought the cheap second hand AMC DAC8
which improved things considerably and would suffice until I could
upgrade to a better DAC.

after much research I settled on the Transporter, and whilst I'm aware
I could have probably bought a better DAC for 2 grand as I predominantly
listen to CDs, I did want a transport for my digital music as well....
so finally after patiently waiting 5 weeks for my order to hit our
shores, I picked my transporter up last night and was up til the wee
hours testing & comparing it with the DAC8.

strangely enough my first reaction was, I preferred the sound through
the old crappy DAC8, something I certainly wasn't expecting.... though
whilst there is more bass through the DAC8, the sound is slightly on the
muddy side... whilst through the transporter my music seemed more
'alive' and refined, less bass but a tighter sound, however the highs do
appear to be quite brittle and harsh, especially at loud volumes.

maybe i'm just use to the DAC8, or the transport needs a decent burn in
period?

I've also noticed the Transporter gets DAMN fecking hot! by the time I
finished up it was too hot to put my hand on it, is that normal?

granted I've got it sitting on top of the Rotel, and my Beyonwiz digi
set top box on top of the Transporter... but that's where the DAC8 was
and it barely got warm even in the hot summer months... the Rotel runs
pretty cool, and the only heat coming from the Beyonwiz is from the rear
where the hard drive is.... even the Denon 4308 doesn't get as hot as
the Transporter!

also was wondering if there is any way for the VU meters to be active
when using the Transport just as a DAC for the Beosound, or can it only
function when playing digital music from the SqueezeServer? Would be
great if it could somehow work when using an external digital source!

any input would be much appreciated thanks :)

--
FARQ