FARQ;476244 Wrote:

> I have all of the naff auto room EQ and Audyssey disabled on the Denon
>
> When listening to music I only use either Pure Direct, or 5ch Stereo so
> it powers all the speakers.

Well, I suppose that the Denon's preamp stage covers (and influences)
most of the differences between your DAC8 and the Transporter analog
output.
On the other hand, if you consider that "the highs do appear to be
quite brittle and harsh, especially at loud volumes" then, probably, the
power amp has some difficulties with the 703's. Or your room has a
problem regarding the mid-high frequencies.
I would suggest two things :
First, you should try putting +12dB level on the analog input of the
TP.
If you still have the "harsh on high volumes" problem, try placing your
speakers differently, or try a different amp.

--
Themis

SB3 - North Star dac 192 - Denon 3808 - Sonus Faber Grand Piano Domus