I like Ethan's writeup.  The comb filtering effect he describes is
interesting and I want to learn more about that.  Skimming through the
article I didn't see any mention of sampling frequencies and bit depth.
I wonder if he feels he hears any difference between 24/96 and 24/192?

I looked back at my post and the first statement "has science always
been correct and able to explain yet undiscovered phenomenon" is not
trying to say that current science is wrong.  The statement is made only
in this context discussing sampling frequency and bit depth, because it
can be measured.  A file recorded at 24/192 holds more information that
24/96.  The analogy to digital photos I guess can be made where higher
resolution means more information is contained in the same image.  Can
the difference be identified?  Maybe not by just anyone.

So all I am asking is whether the science and measurements are looking
at the whole picture.  Is there something happening at the quantum level
for example, yet to be described by science.  And the only reason I ask
this is because other people like Ethan Winer, who have been in the
recording/mastering industry for many years, have stated they do hear a
difference.

I'm not talking about cables... don't want to go there. :)
I should have been more clear because I am aware that cable proponents
use the same argument.

On a side note SHM-CD and Blu-Spec CDs are common these days.  Many
claim that they sound better that the original CDs yet they contain the
same masterings.  The only thing different is the materials used to make
the CD.

People have ripped the SHM-CD and the regular CD (using EAC for
example) and found the rips to be identical, yet to some they sound
different.  Some of those people say that playback from the hard drive
as a computer file gives a different listening experience, better than
listening direct from CD, and the 2 ripped files sound identical.

???

No idea what's going on there, I haven't been subjected to it and I'm
not claiming it is true or false.  Just pointing it out.  Another one of
those discussions I suppose, with 2 camps equally defending what they
believe to be true or sensible.

TV

--
tv69