Your digital photography analogy doesn't work. The "Information" that
can be captured in an image is much, much greater and inherently more
complex than ANY audio requirement. Light and sound are very different
beasts!

In terms of AUDIO, 44.1khz sampling is all that is needed to capture
the "information". (refer Shannon et al - Information Theory). The key
assumption being that the Nyquist frequency of  44.1 divided by 2 is
adequate. If we only want frequencies up to a max of 22.050Khz then it
is.

It's not about "information" - it's about processing artefacts
(ringing, aliasing etc) in the information recovery process. This is
where higher sampling really can help because it makes it easier to deal
with those artefacts. But it's not about "more information"...

I do think that high res files are a good thing, but not because they
have more information or restore missing information, rather because
they can be mastered and reproduced with less problems and
compromises...

As for anyone who can hear a difference between 2 bit-for-bit identical
files on a computer... ???????? Guess we are lucky that computers and
the Internet work at all really.

By the way, I have lots of shm cd's and most of them sound better than
their non-shm equivalents. One thing I have noticed but haven't had time
to drill into yet is that the equivalent FLAC files tend to be somewhat
(5% ish) larger... This implies a difference in the mastering. I don't
believe that the disk coating is having any effect at all (it might on a
conventional CD player, but not when ripping on a rom drive...)

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
SB Touch Beta (wired) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W -
MF Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio