Audioheads talk about phase in different ways.  The 'Polarity' switch in
a component has to do with electricity inside that component only.
Absolute phase to a loudspeaker is a different thing, my big system
actually sounds better set up in reverse polarity, and none of my
components invert phase.  Go figure.  I haven't had obvious results with
components that allow switching.

People will debate whether recordings with their numerous sound-sources
and microphones can produce a truly phase-coherent image.  I'm pretty
sure they can but I'm equally confident few do.

Then, related to subwoofers and speakers, phase describes the
relationship between acoustic wavefronts from various sources (drivers).
Loudspeaker designers seek 'phase coherent' designs where physical
placement of drivers + crossover influence = net zero in arrival timing.
Many multi-way designs invert phase to some drivers to counteract
effects of the crossover network, to actually increase net phase
linearity.

With subwoofers, correct phase is hugely important.  I'd never buy one
without continuous 0 - 180 degree and +/- controls.  I've done room
measurements and the difference in-room of getting it right versus wrong
can be 30 decibels.  It's easy to check (see third post down):

http://www.avguide.com/forums/subwoofer-phase

There are other contexts and the topics I've listed are obviously WAY
deeper and beyond my understanding.

--
miklorsmith