deadushka;499481 Wrote:

> I took a wav-file (ripped from some audiphile CD) and a flac version of
> the same file and played these through my system (Duet -> Audio Alchemy
> DAC -> Parasound A21 power amp -> NHT 2.5i). To my surprise there was a
> diffirence. Wav played audibly better.

I can't help with your question of how to force WAV output of FLAC
files, but I can offer one (potential) reason why you're hearing a
difference between the file types...at least with the Duet receiver.

It all depends on what the Xilinx receiver chip in the Duet has to do
to process FLAC vs. WAV files. Does decompression of FLAC happen in the
Duet receiver or on SqueezeServer? Is a WAV file playable as-is (or with
minimal processing by the receiver chip)?

Because - anything that causes the Xilinx receiver chip to work harder
in the Duet receiver will degrade the sound. The Xilinx puts out a lot
of self-noise onto the power rails, master clock, etc. If sending it WAV
files vs. FLAC files reduces the internal activity on the Xilinx you'll
get lower jitter and noise sent to the I2S, SPDIF and onboard DAC chip.

I wish I knew more about the architecture of the Xilinx firmware in
order to answer this definitively. I'm willing to bet that's the source
of any difference between the two formats.

Pete

--
Pete Fowler