deadushka;499722 Wrote:
> Marco,
>
> I've f...@#$ up my installation of 7.4.1 by copying server.prefs and
> convert.conf from my previous installation of 7.3.3.
>
> Now I have a clean install of 7.4.1 and all the settings are as you
> described them.
>
> When settings are like this
>
> FLAC:
> FLAC - Disabled
> MP3  - Disabled
> PCM  - flac
>
> WAV:
> FLAC - Disabled
> MP3  - Disabled
> PCM  - Native
>
> I can't hear any difference between a flac-file and a wav-file.

good - there is no difference - ADM can't measure one and I don't think
John Swenson's Spectrum Analyser can measure one either. John?

All these theories about extra noise from the Xilinx (or whatever) are
simply not supported by any measurements. These effects should be
completely repeatable and easily measured... but they aren't.

A properly controlled DBT would certainly fail as well.

If there was anything in this theory, you might like to try to hear a
difference between flac compression level zero and flac C 8. The xilinx
is going to be working a lot harder for C 8...

--
Phil Leigh

ain't what you'd call minimal...
SB Touch Beta (wired) - TACT 2.2X (Linear PSU) + Good Vibrations S/W -
MF Triplethreat(Audiocom full mods) - Linn 5103 - Aktiv 5.1 system (6x
LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Townsend Supertweeters, Blue
Jeans Digital,Kimber Speaker & Chord Interconnect cables
Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio