As iPhone said, you're listening on a train. I guess it all depends on
how noisy the trains are in your neck of the woods, but if they're
anything like the trains I use then worrying about the fidelity of the
files is the least of your problems.

Even using ear canal phones (I use Shure e2c), the background noise is
sufficiently high on a train that in order to hear the quiet parts you
need to turn the volume up so high that the loud parts are far too loud.
(I have the same issue with listening in the car). The solution to this
problem is to use a device with a playback AGC (ie. that can gain-ride
the playback level). Sure, it trashes the natural dynamics of the music,
but I find that preferable to being unable to hear half of it.

As far as I am aware, only two players have ever offered such a
facility: the Rio Karma, and its offspring the Trekstor Vibez. Both
products are now unavailable, of course, unless you can find a
secondhand one. I still use my Karma when travelling.

--
cliveb

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A