I don't have a transporter but have done a comparison on someone elses
system with a transporter. I actually preferred the Touch. Its
definitely going to be a personal thing, some will think the Touch
sounds better, some the Transporter.

On the volume control front, the Touch does about as good as you can
get. If you send it 16 bit data there is some room before you start
loosing original bits. If you send 24 bit data anything other than 100
will loose original bits. There is nothing you can do about that. Its
math.

The big issue is can you personally tell the difference? I've done a
lot of experimenting with this and find that as long as I keep the
volume control above about 75 I don't have any problem sonic wise. So if
your amp is very sensitive and normal playing level is 20, you probably
WILL have sonic degradation.

Another issue with very low normal listening levels is that it IS
possible for full volume music or full volume noise to come out. If your
amp is sensitive enough that this will seriously overload your amp you
could damage speakers. The digital volume control is software and
software doesn't always work perfectly all the time. I DID have one case
where the Touch emitted full level noise until I turned it off, so it
CAN happen! (but we are in beta test so software wasn't as fully wrung
out then)

If I'm going to be running direct to an amp I want an amp that has some
way to adjust the gain (input pot, adjustable resistors, whatever) or
add an attenuator on the input jacks so I can set things so that at 100,
the softest stuff I have are at a good volume and "normal stuff" runs at
around 75-80. This way you stay in the range that doesn't significantly
degrade sound and if DOES spew out full level sound it won't hurt
anything.

John S.

--
JohnSwenson