Andy8421;518055 Wrote:
> Kevin,
>
> I have my power amps located remotely from my processor / DAC,
> primarily for reasons of heat dissipation and keeping the speaker cables
> short. This results in signal leads of 4M or so from processor to amps.
> My system (Krell) is fully balanced throughout which minimises any noise
> issues on the signal level leads, and I was attracted to the Transporter
> because of its balanced design - so I could have a system that was
> balanced from start to finish. I am dissapointed that the Touch does not
> have balanced outputs, and I am investigating how much of a problem it
> would be to balance these outputs for longer signal runs.
>
> I believe the transporter uses a DAC that has both inverting and non
> inverting outputs, so it was relatively straightforward job to make the
> outputs balanced.  I have seen passive transformer based balancing /
> unbalancing approaches, but I wonder if you could expand on your comment
> "It is fairly trivial to design a balanced output from a single-ended
> output. It is a matter of impedance matching and it is not necessary to
> have a inverting/non-inverting signal to gain the advantages of balanced
> circuit design" as I am not aware of such an approach.
>
> Andy.

Yea.... it is a complex subject but basically the magic of a balanced
connection is not primarily due to the inverting/non-inverting of the
signal.  It is the balanced impedance and all that is required on a
single ended output to enjoy the benefits are a couple passive
components that cost about a nickle.

I'd refer you to a couple papers by Bill Whitlock of Jensen
Transformers.  If you are an AES member you can download the education
series he has done on balanced and unbalanced interfaces and it covers
it from the basics.   If your not an AES member it is only $100 and
there is plenty of good information about audio that is published on a
regular basis.   It is a great resource for anyone interested in audio.

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/an/an003.pdf

--
Kevin Haskins